Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spanish Rice

I was first introduced to Spanish Rice when Carl and I lived with Joyce McNary in Lakewood, California. Joyce is an awesome lady in our ward in Lakewood and we lived with her for about 5 months. She lives by herself as all her children have their own families already, but every once in a while, she has some of them over for either spaghetti night or taco night. She'd always invite us, but I usually miss it because I used to babysit until midnight. When my schedule changed, both Carl and I were able to join one of their taco nights... and I immediately fell in love with her Spanish Rice, and with her daughter Mandy's chicken enchiladas! 

So anyway, one Sunday I really missed Joyce... and I made this Spanish Rice recipe and tried my best to make it taste like Joyce's.

SPANISH RICE


Ingredients:
3 cups cooked rice
1 cup chicken stock
1 453 g (1 lb) jar mild salsa
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper

    In a hot skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add chicken stock and let simmer. Add rice and stir until almost fluffy. Add the salsa and blend well with the rice. Season with chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and continue stirring until flavors are well incorporated into the rice.


    I learned that in Mexico, they don't call it Spanish or Mexican Rice. They just call it "rice" or "arroz," pretty much like how we just call steamed rice as rice in the Philippines. And traditionally, you brown the uncooked rice before adding the broth. This is just my easy way of making do. Also, using salsa makes it more easier to prepare because it substitutes all the tomatoes and chiles that needs chopping and saves you me buying extra tomato sauce!

    I usually prepare this to satisfy our occasional cravings for tacos or burritos, but I would definitely serve this with cornbread as well. Actually, I am looking forward to summer because I've been thinking of serving this instead of plain white rice to go with BBQ pork chops and some drizzling of lime!!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment